Sunday, January 17, 2016

Viking Rune Workshop

Wow, what an exciting day! Today was my day to give a workshop on creating a rune set.

I was extremely nervous about speaking in public... who am I kidding? I have extreme glossophobia...(Fear of public speaking)! It was small group of about 14 people, but to me, the whole world was watching. Thank you, Scott, Nikki, Doug, Sallie, for giving me the encouragement to face my fear.

Runes and rune casting is something I get great pleasure from. To be able to share that with others was such a wonderful feeling that, it was almost fun to be the presenter.

In addition to making their own set of runes, the group learned a brief history of the Rune Alphabet, they heard the story of how the Norse God, Odin acquired the Knowledge of the Runes, and the tradition of Rune mal (casting the runes).

We used glass "dots" and paint pens to make our Runes, explaining that traditionally they were made out of small stones, twigs, animal bone, or antler.

I know there are some very strict traditionalists out there who will disagree with me, but I feel that your Runes are personal to YOU, and they can be made from whatever you have available or feel the urge to create a set from.

I have a few different sets, smooth river stone, cats eye crystal, and a set made from polymer clay. I even heard of people making a quick set from pieces of cardboard when the need arose. So, have fun with it.

We also played a "game" with our new sets where each person was asked to pull one rune from their bag, while thinking about the workshop. Most of the runes have several meanings. I had them read the interpretation of their rune from a handout and asked them how they thought that was related to our group.

It was thrilling to hear their insights and how spot-on many of their intuitions were. A few that stood out are Berchta and Anzuz.

Among other things, Berchta indicates personal growth and the prospering of a new venture. This was drawn by person new to our CUUPS group.

Anzuz represents the God Odin, who according to the legend, brought the Runes and their meaning back form the fathomless depths of Urd. I would have been shocked if that one DIDN'T show itself.

I will never say I like public speaking, but it was fun, and I met some wonderful and interesting people. I hope everyone that attended had a most excellent time!












No comments:

Post a Comment